“America is now the least racist white majority society in the world, has a better record of legal protection of minorities than any other society, white or black, offers more opportunities to a greater number of black persons than any other society, including all of those of Africa”, according to Orlando Patterson, John Cowles Professor of Sociology at Harvard University.
The comment by Patterson, an African-American Professor at what many consider a liberal university, seems to run counter to a popular narrative promoted by a large number of activists.
At Our American Culture believes the United States is based on equality, compassion and a sense of what is right. We also observe those espousing America is racist and has racism in it’s DNA (such as President Obama) often have an agenda where it is convenient to diminish America, contort circumstances or omit factual information to draw attention to a cause. Reality is not as important as a narrative supporting a cause.
The video below introduces facts rarely discussed (if ever) in popular culture or the main stream media. Primarily because information discredits conventional wisdom in the era of ‘Black Lives Matter’.
Here are a few examples of how America has changed relative to racism because it is an inherently fair, free and honorable country – despite what detractors promote:
- 60 percent of Americans said in 1960 they would not vote for a black president. Obama, the country’s first black president, was elected president to two terms. This is a big change for a ‘racist’, ‘hateful’ country.
- In 1958, only 4 percent of Americans approved of marriage between blacks and whites. That number has increased to 87 percent in 2016. This is a big change for a ‘racist’, ‘hateful’ country.
- In 1960, only 1.6 percent of marriages were between blacks and whites. That number is now 12 percent in 2016 and rising. This is a big change for a ‘racist’, ‘hateful’ country.
- Studies by National Institute for Justice and The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration showed any discrepancies on traffic stop rates between blacks and whites were due to “differences in offending”. In other words, blacks simply violated traffic laws at higher rates than whites.
- Additionally, the National Institute for Justice study, found that 3 out of 4 blacks surveyed believed they were stopped for a “legitimate reason.”
Our American Culture believes in fair play, freedom and equality. Sure there are racists in our society, however, they are not representative of our general population and generally considered at the fringe of our culture. Racists are the exception, rather than the rule in Our American Culture.