Within a day or two after Justice Scalia’s passing there were media reports referencing contentious liberal vs. conservation issues.
Gun control and discussions of the second amendment surface every time there is a shooting event. So, with the passing of a conservative Justice, gun control advocates hope for a more moderate Justice to be appointed by President Obama. Our American Culture would like to hear from our readers. But first some perspective –
Amendment 2 to the US Constitution
A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (1791)
Statistics on Gun Ownership
- 40% of all US homes have guns.
- 81% of Americans say that gun control will be an important issue in determining which Congressional candidate to vote for.
- 91% of Americans say that there should be at least minor restrictions on gun ownership
- 57% of Americans say that there should be major restrictions or a ban.
Liberal Leanings On Gun Control
- The Second Amendment does not give citizens the right to keep and bear arms.
- It only allows for the state to keep a militia (National Guard).
- Individuals do not need guns for protection; it is the role of local and federal government to protect the people through law enforcement agencies and the military.
- Additional gun control laws are necessary to stop gun violence and limit the ability of criminals to obtain guns.
- More guns mean more violence.
Conservative Thought On Gun Control
- The Second Amendment gives citizens the right to keep and bear arms.
- Individuals have the right to defend themselves.
- There are too many gun control laws – additional laws will not lower gun crime rates.
- What is needed is enforcement of current laws.
- Gun control laws do not prevent criminals from obtaining guns.
- More guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens mean less crime.
What are your thoughts on the Second Amendment and Gun Control?